I love it hip hop

It's all began 25 years ago. I was a toddler, mesmerised by a Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire film. Once I could walk, my family were forced to watch my choreographed dance extravaganzas in the living room (props included), and paid for my Jazz and Modern Dance classes at primary school. Secondary school was time to grow up and be cool. Jazz hands weren't cool. In year 8 I bowed out of dance with a mind blowing finale of Janet Jackon's Rhythm Nation in the assembly room. But the fiery love of dance was still burning bright inside me, only ever to be seen by my bedroom mirror or by drunk people on a nightclub chair.

Now, I live my life of movement vicariously through those people on dance shows, especially Got To Dance (Ashley Banjo reow!), and watching dance at the theatre. On Tuesday I went to see 'Some Like It Hip Hop' at the Peacock Theatre. One word: amazing! This is ZooNation's second incredible production after the very successful 'Into the Hoods'.


I was totally involved from the first beat until the very last. The comedy was brilliant and I was speechless at how good the women's dancing was. I don't know why, but I just sort of expect men to be better at break dancing - but sorry boys, the women blew you right out of the water. The lead girl (name?!!?) was INSANE. The 'governor' was doing some terrifyingly intense krumping which nearly made me cry because I felt his emotion. I felt emotion through a KRUMP. Everyone's movements were so precise, so tight, and yet really smooth. THE MUSIC. Oh the music. Where can I get the soundtrack?! I was bopping around in my seat, half wanting to jump on stage and half wanting to kill myself that I don't dance like that.



Oh that's another thing. I am one of those people who, if the audience starts to stand up or get involved in any way, I'm begrudgingly hauling myself out of my seat, secretly hating the person who started getting everyone to join in. However, at SLIHH, I practically lept out of my seat to dance. The audience were all copying the moves and hollering and 'whheeyyy woahhh'ing from side to side, which I usually refrain from because I think it just draws attention to the fact that I am a white person, but I was 100% loving it. I didn't want it to end.

Basically you should see it if you like REALLY GOOD THINGS. Now I'm off to learn how to krump and pop, lock and drop so everyone will be like 'woah Laura I didn't know you could do that?!!!!' and I'll be like 'yeah'.

Can't Touch This

Comments

Popular Posts

Self-promotional Charity

Disney's top hottest males

Facebook Funnies