No more degrees of Kevin Bacon, please...

It's time I talk about an ad that has been bothering me for a while now - The EE ads with Kevin Bacon from Saatchi&Saatchi. I'm sure you have all seen them; where he plays 6 Degrees of Separation of Kevin Bacon but with British familiars such as TV shows and slang. When I saw the first one where he babbled on about how he was connected to 'Ken Barlow' and 'The Rovers', it slightly annoyed me because there is no way that Kevin Bacon knew what those things were.

I decided to break my silence and make it blog post-worthy when I saw the 'Spray Tan' ad:


Firstly, he is not even playing the game right. How does 'Tango' lead to 'Amy Childs'? There are no proper connections between any of the subjects he brings up, they seem vague and weak. EE are trying to show that they are connected across the globe - a concept that is well portrayed in the advert and understood by the audience. However, I feel because the British are proud and protective of their ways, watching an old American actor talk about our nation's favourite soaps or lifestyle as if he is 'one of us' is slightly irritating and, instead of feeling like we've connected with him and ready to take him under our nation's wing, we just want to give him a smack.

The idea of 'Everything Everywhere' is great, but I don't think the final result has done it justice. The main aim of connecting with the British public has ended up looking forced and odd. If Kevin Bacon was swapped with an iconic British actor, say, Michael Caine, then I believe that would have gone down better. Another way to improve it would be the script, because whichever writer attempted to be hip by putting 'ledge' and 'totes amazeballs' clearly has no genuine knowledge on what's current, otherwise they'd know that no self respecting person would ever say those words. EVER.

Here's one I made earlier:



Comments

Popular Posts

Self-promotional Charity

Disney's top hottest males

Facebook Funnies