Hardcore Corn

I played the classic 'If you had 3 foods to take to a desert island...' game a few months ago and my friends were appalled when I revealed mine; ciabatta, steak and popcorn. I often have to defend my choices in life, but with popcorn I don't think I should have to. Pop, (my upbeat nickname for it), is a food that I will never get sick of, a food that I could easily eat endlessly forever and never be full. So imagine my joy and surprise when I heard of 'Pop', a new shop in Notting Hill that sells many different weird and wonderful Heston-style flavours of popcorn. At last, the mothership.

I imagined this place to be like the Willy Wonka's Factory of pop with a river of corn, pop flowers, pop lightbulbs, pop volcano eruptions where people have to dive and catch pop with their mouths. I visited yesterday and I was trembling with excitement. Is my phone charged to take photos? Will there be queues? How expensive will this place be? Well I ended up walking into a small room that could probably fit 10 people maximum, with 7 tester cups of pop on the counter. Okay so it wasn't the equivalent of M&M World, but that's not what I was here for.

I ended up spending £12 on four flavours of pop: English Toffee and Sea Salt (their bestseller and by far the tastiest), Chilli and Cheese, Cheddar and Spring Onion, and Bloody Mary - these were all weird but amazing!!


There were several I didn't buy; Sweet Crisp (I'm not a fan of sweet pop), Olive Oil and Salt (tasted just just salted pop), and Chocolate Orange (which was lovely but could imagine it getting quite sickly - not ideal for someone who wants to shovel pop endlessly). The pop was served by a lovely girl and came in neat Chinese takeaway boxes


I was disappointed to not see the Maple Bacon pop which I'd heard about but I know they change around their flavours every couple of months or so, so I will definitely be returning to try out the new flavours. If you're like me and are a hardcore corn fan, then you MUST visit this place. Their website is delightful but I think there are certain things that would make their shop look more interesting; like perhaps a big cinema-style popcorn machine, or popart of pop, or a gumball machine that dispenses pop. Either way, this empire will definitely grow and I look forward to sampling more pop experiments.

Wha gwan, popcaan?

Comments

Popular Posts

Self-promotional Charity

Disney's top hottest males

Facebook Funnies