Is your site behaving badly? Take it to (Webmaster) Tool Academy


So, even though this is just an excuse to publish the HILARIOUS photoshop picture I made above...(give yourself a minute to take it all in)... I thought I may as well write a post on my free, self-education course on Google Webmaster's Tools Academy.

WTA is a very simple, 27-step learning tool that not only explains the ins and out of web search, but also helps you to use Google to your advantage and make the most out of your business or website. I would recommended everyone to take a look at it because it's actually very interesting and gives some great tips on how to get noticed in a vortex of search results.

I have implemented Google Authorship myself - this means linking your Google+ profile to your website/blog so whenever your site/post turns up in search results, you'll see a little photo and 'about me' of the author. This makes the viewer more likely to click on you because you look approachable and human. Linking all sites and accounts you have to each other makes yourself a good little network. I have done this, and now, when you type in my name, I dominate the first page in Google. This is because I try and blog about 2-3 times a week to keep my blog active and read - you have to put consistant work in if you want to remain at the top and overtake your competitors - (I'm talking about you 'Laura Cripps Zumba'...Hope you enjoy the view down there at number 10! mmuhahahaha!!!!)

The aim is make your site easy to find. For this, Google Places is cool. If you have a business then you can create 'rich snippets' which are those big chunky results that show lots of information like the address, a store locator, a little map, a shortlist of products or career opportunities. The Geo Targeting tool is good too as you can target your business to relevant audiences, eg, if your site is .co.uk then Google knows it is relevant for people in the UK. You can fill all this in yourself; page titles, page descriptions, meta descriptions, informative urls etc... Just give Google as much info as you can so it falls straight into the public's hands. Like I said, you need to keep it active and have good meaty content. Online activity should be a big part of your business, not an afterthought.

What else? Well there is loads. Loads more I want to talk about in it but I'm sure they do it better themselves  - anyway, this was just an excuse to show my hilarious photo. It's still hilarious isn't it? I just can't stop looking at it....

Comments

Popular Posts

Self-promotional Charity

Disney's top hottest males

Facebook Funnies