I love a good film rant...


I recently purchased a poster of one of my favourite films, Gigi.


I am on a bit of a shopping craze at the moment; buying things for the flat I am saving for. Typical me, spending my money on coasters, artwork and kitchenware before I even have a property to put them in. At least if I end up buying a shack, I will be surrounded with nice things to look at.

Another large movie poster I own is this:


I am a big Tarantino fan and these two are my favourite of his films.

I never usually reveal what films I like as I think people can be quite annoying about your taste if it isn't the same as theirs. When you get that judgemental, 'whaaat?!! that movie SUCKS!', you start having to explain and justify why you like the film so they stop looking at you like you've just said something disgraceful like you like to kill babies or something.

I am a massive movie buff and enjoy exploring all genres and genuinely cannot choose an all-time favourite as so many are great in their own right. I don't judge when people have different tastes as not everyone will like the same thing - that's what genres are for. The same goes for music; people tend to either judge you on what artists you like or penalise you for enjoying something they think is 'lame'.

Actually, sorry, there is one time I judged someone. Once at a bus stop, two young teen boys struck up a conversation with me. They were tipsy and I was humouring them. We got onto the subject of films and they asked me what films I liked. Reluctantly, I said the first one that came to mind, 'True Romance'. This seemed to have got some kind of approval from them; heavy nodding, agreeing murmurs and 'good choice'. This annoyed me, I didn't need a pat on the back for liking a movie. I asked them their favourite movies and they listed them out at record speed; 'The Godfather', 'Taxi Driver', 'Scarface', 'Shawshank', 'Pulp Fiction'... Suddenly I felt rage and I criticised them for being unoriginal and simply picking films from IMDB's top films list (in fact I think I even accused them of memorising the list and not seeing the films.) I asked them to explain why they liked these movies and they couldn't say anything that made me believe they had any genuine love for, or opinion of, these films.

Don't tell me your favourite film is The Godfather...

I left the boys with a list of great, not well known, underrated films and hoped for the best.

So I guess I am judgmental, but just of those who praise you for saying the 'right' thing or make you feel like you're wrong otherwise, when they themselves stick to safe options and answers which get them more approval. It's irritating and bad form. 
Now leave me alone to enjoy 'The Slipper and the Rose'.

                                                        

Comments

Popular Posts

Self-promotional Charity

Disney's top hottest males

Facebook Funnies