Brands who accept you for YOU! *eye roll*...

So I recently saw the Diet Coke ad and my eyes rolled so far into the back of my head that I feared a future of blindness.

Click to watch

Yet another brand telling me to "do me".... "Do you, boo!" "Live your best life!", "If you wanna do something, do it!" Oh wow ok thanks I wasn't sure if I could do things like have a diet coke or run a marathon but thanks so much for letting me know I can coca cola.


We've got Missguided telling girls to "Make Your Mark" where they let us know we CAN get our cellulite out - at last!!!!!


We've got a car brand, telling us to "Go Your Own Way", letting us know we CAN express ourselves creatively - thank you toyota!!!!


Brands are all scrambling around, trying to appeal to the younger generation with a higher purpose.
"Hey we aren't just toilet paper, we also believe you should live a life free of oppression!!"

The only problem here is that.... although not perfect, we currently live in a world which is far more accepting and inclusive than it ever used to be. 
Millennials ARE honest, they ARE real, they ARE the most forward-thinking generation. 

But it's funny watching brands try to be overly inclusive and go completely overboard letting consumers knows that YOU ARE ACCEPTED FOR YOU, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO.

For example, Kellogg's have "My Perfect Bowl", where they ask the nation how they eat their Cornflakes....
I'm sorry but how many ways, realistically, can you consume Cornflakes?

that's a damn lie

There are people arguing over what they like to wear whilst they eat them - nude?? 
They argue over where they eat them - on the bus?? 
Then of course how they eat them - with kiwis... wtf? MILK FIRST??? 

No matter how much of a lunatic you are, Kellogg's accepts you! 


Another weird one is Andrex with their "scrunch or fold" campaign...


"I'm a folder!"... "I'm a scruncher!

No matter whatever crazy, loopy, down-right rebellious way you wanna wipe your bum, Andrex accepts you!

I saw a Twitter poll the other day, I think from Old Es Paso, asking me if I was a "Team Fold" or "Team Wrap" in relation to making a burrito. 

Is this life?
PREACH! don't let anyone hold you down ps. buy our tortillas pls :)

I love ads that inspire but I do still believe that, if you want to be truly relevant, you have to be a bit more focused with who you are targeting, as trying to include everyone feels like sucking up.
Not only that, but if you are spouting a "higher purpose", what else are you doing apart from brand campaigns? Are you trying to change the world for the better, or are you simply trying to get people to believe you are so that they buy your product?

It's a dangerous space to play in because, as I said, millennials are on it; they have experienced bullshit detectors and these "real" campaigns are at risk of one big eye roll.

ps. I'm Team Wrap incase you were wondering ;)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Self-promotional Charity

Disney's top hottest males

Facebook Funnies