Marketing jargon: my insights into NONSENSE

Since my last post, I:

  • attempted another Buzzfeed post to follow my previous one (it did badly.. deleted it out of shame and don't want to talk about it)
  • turned 27
  • went to Newquay
  • have been working my arse off

It's fun though, working in marketing. Even though I am in social media, I am tight with the brand teams and have learnt a lot about marketing in the wider sense. I feel like everything my marketing friends were talking about before is now all making sense; I understand the lingo.

Marketing lingo aka. jargon, has baffled me for years. ROI, insights and analysis, comms... I hadn't the foggiest what it all meant. It was all spoke so quickly and confidently that I was afraid to ask. Afraid that I'd be pulled into a vortex of more words that baffled me, yet left me in awe and amazement.

I am now part of the club. I understand the words, the phrases, the shortcuts. And I can happily tell you now; you're not missing out. It's amazing how marketers can say so much, without actually saying anything at all. I sit there as team members have meetings upon meetings, (even meetings to discuss when to have the next meeting), whilst they have jargon wars - 'reaching out' and 'pushing back' across the table.

I have created this little table (excel spreadsheet that shit) to help you with some of my 'key findings':


It's ironic because people use these words to sound clever, but when they use pure jargon to build a sentence, that's when you can see they are not clever at all. 

This way of talking exudes exclusivity. It confuses those who are not 'in the know' and makes them feel inferior in conversations. It's funny because marketing is all about how to reach and connect with consumers, yet this kind of language puts automatic barriers up and stops anyone outside of the marketing world relating to them at all.

Working in social media, I don't think I will ever lose the ability to connect with consumers on a personal level. I've tried to make us look more like a mate on your newsfeed, rather than a corporation. I chat the lingo of a 16 year old for our brand, and spout jargon (when appropriate) in meetings. I have discovered that, no matter how you have to talk in certain situations, the best thing to do is say it like it is. Explain things properly. Don't try to look smart, just be smart.

Comments

Popular Posts

Self-promotional Charity

Disney's top hottest males

Facebook Funnies