Ad Success: Is it all just a matter of good timing?


I don’t know who first came up with the phrase, ‘Timing is Everything’, but it’s a damn good phrase. You can relate it to pretty much everything in life; especially if your job is in PR, stand up comedy, cooking or, as I have just realised, advertising.

An ice cold drink ad in the summer, a pizza ad when you’re hungover, a double glazing ad in October, or a Thomas Cook ad on payday… all these coincidental timings are crucial to the success of an advert and the sale of a product. If ads are lucky, they will pop up at the right time when the audience is in the mood to watch them and be affected by them. But if you have a product that can be placed in the right spot, at the right time, then you should take advantage of that.

Here is my personal example. The other day at 7.45am I was at my bus stop en route to work - it was Monday, it was raining, and it was cold. For those who don’t know me, I hate the cold more than world famine or war or crocs. I was miserable and wanted to die. Then a bus stopped on the opposite side of the road with this large advert:

At that moment, this Timberland coat looked like the Holy Grail. ‘A log cabin with sleeves and a hood’ - Oh, how I’d love to wear something that felt like I was wearing a log cabin! The tagline is not particularly hilarious and the picture is no clever accompaniment to the tagline, but I understood that the jacket is bloody warm and on that icy morning, that’s only what mattered. Now we are all battling with snow, I’m sure they will see a rise in sales of this jacket if those ads are still driving around.

Intelligent ad placement is something that can really boost your sales, so put your burger ad opposite a nightclub, air your charity ad on the last Friday of the month, and advertise your renovation business outside an estate agents. Don’t leave it to chance when you can make timing your bitch and can avoid unfortunate situations that drive your audience away such as these poorly placed ads:







Comments

  1. Good targeting to..It's like Facebook knows my every move!

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Self-promotional Charity

Disney's top hottest males

Facebook Funnies