Getting Rosie Arnold to see my work (and how to get someone to see yours)

This is a post I have been meaning to write since May, because in May I wrote a letter to BBH's Deputy Exec. Creative Director and D&AD president, Rosie Arnold.

I saw a presentation she gave about how there are not enough women in the creative industry, and I found her so inspirational that I was driven to contact her. I did my research and found that we both studied at Central Saint Martins, which was a great starting point, and that a couple of the accounts she works on at BBH are Persil and Axe, two brands that I'd already created my own ads for (see 15ish posts down). A funny obsession of Rosie's is that she collects old, squashed soda cans that she finds; a habit that she has no explanation for, only that she may 'find a use for them some day'. I found this hilarious as I have a similar habit; taking photos of license plates that spell short words. I also have no reason for this obsession, apart from the belief that I will use them one day for something amazingly creative. She is smart, funny, has a successful career, has a family and is actually pretty fit. I was determined to get a reply.

So, with my completed 6-page letter full of images and sketches that began with an enticing first paragraph to draw her in, I posted and emailed copies to her. I found out her PA's e-mail and asked her to make sure Rosie got this letter and let me know when she got it and when she read it. I hounded this poor girl for days. Until the day Rosie got my letter...

 I was amazed and so pleased, as you can imagine. Rosie Arnold read my words and had my crappy drawings in her hands and said she 'REALLY LIKED MY IDEAS'. Holy crap. To cut a long story short, I had a lot of back and forth with her assistant who was unbelievably helpful (shocking to see someone just helping you just to be nice these days), but nothing came of it. We couldn't find a date that suited and then 2 weeks later I got my job so my chance of a meeting became near impossible. I do hope that somewhere down the line in life our paths will cross and I can express how great I think she is and we can laugh about the time I stalked her. Perhaps brainstorm some ads, throw around some ideas in a boardroom, braid each others' hair.... or maybe just absorb her wisdom and advice over a coffee.

The main thing I have learned is that if you want to contact someone of a high position to get them to see you/your work/your CV, then you need to make it personal. No generic e-mail that sends to everyone in your address book. You find out about that person, what they do, what they like, what will get their attention. Make yourself relevant and interesting, and most of all, BOMBARD that person until they notice you.


Comments

Popular Posts

Self-promotional Charity

Disney's top hottest males

Facebook Funnies